Monday, September 28, 2015

28 September 2015 - Los Guaricanos (Santo Domingo)

Well this week was pretty swell. We had some great lessons, great contacts, etc. etc. I had some rather weird experiences también, but more of that later. First, Investigators. Carolan (the awesome one) couldnt come to church this week becuase she was sick, but she read in el Libro de Mormon y su folleto. She wants to be baptized too, so thats pretty fun. She LOVES our visits and felt really bad that she missed our last cita and church. Thursday we are going to set a baptismal date! I just hope i get to stay here long enough to see it, BUT the Lord´s will be done.
Next we have Ulissa. She was a reference from a member and she is pretty awesome too. She´s been to church a few times and she really likes it. Last lesson we asked her to pray about Jose Smith y el Libro de Mormon and she said she would even though she already knew it was true. I quote: What else could it be? We also challenged her to be baptized and she said yes to that too!

La familia Amades wasn´t in church this week, but the kids are always at all the activities. Antoni, the son, wants to come, but he has school sunday morning. Thpt. They read el folleto but not really in the Book of Mormon. Yesterday we stressed the importance of reading these scriptures and praying for the truth. They promised to read this week though, so hurray.

We set a date with Jorge on Sunday, we just need to finish the lessons with him. He´s is really old and has trouble understanding alot, but he wants to be baptized.

Pablo is doing really well too. He wasn´t in church but he read alot. He really wants to be baptized but he doesn´t feel like he´s worthy. He suffers alot of temptations like every male does in this crazy country (love it here by the way, not complaining). We focused on the power of the Gift of the Holy Ghost and asked him to pray about his baptismal date. He said we would and will continue to study the scriptures.

Estivan continues to be awesome. He is reading and praying every night with his sister Wanda and living the commandments. Really he just needs his mom´s permission to be baptised, but she´s against it.

We have ALOT more investigators, but those are the ones that are progressing. Now the week. So we had a few "fights" with some crazy evangelicals. One family that just refused to accept or listen to anything we had to say about prophets. In the end the mom was ranting about how we don´t need a prophet because we have Jesus and how she is actually a prophet...It didnt make alot of sense. I just kind of sat back and waited for my comp to finish talking. We testified and left with them laughing at us. The other was with a girl literally named Mary Magdeline. I´m pretty sure she has the New Testament memorized. You can imagine how that went. At least she was actually willing to listen.

Now the weird part. I saw Addi. Like straight up my niece Addison...except black. The same face, the same age, the same facial expressions, just Dominican. I almost stopped and stared in the middle of the street.
I also tried Coke for the first time. Before anyone freaks out is was completely on accident. One of our members gave us some. I was kind of apprehensive because it looked like coke, but the wife assured us it was cherry juice. Just as i took a sip, the husband called from the other room that it was coke. UUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. Almost did a spit take. So my comp finished mine. (Fun side note, coke is not that good. I`m not sure what the big fuss is.)

We also had a ward activity in the local national park. Parts of it are really beautiful and cool...but alot of it is just nasty and covered in garbage. Theres a big lake and a "zoo" (Quotes there because it only had one animal, an Iguana. All of the other cages were empty.) a play ground and lots of stuff for sports. We didn´t have alot of people there, and it was kind of lame, but oh well. I also forgot to bring my camera!! DAH! Sorry, next time, next time.

And yeah! That was the week. Lots of lessons, we met some really great families and people and yeah! now for pics!


This is the moon through my window. Woke me up at about 3 in the morning. It was SO bright. Shining right in my eyes. Also, i broke my resistance band. I guess my triceps are just too buff and manly.

Also, we had a lunar eclipse last night! I tried to take pictures, but couldnt really see anything in them.



(Response to Dad's e-mail):

Dad, don´t worry. I´m not focusing on the time really. I hadn´t even thought about it until my comp asked me how long I´d been out. It just kind of blew my mind that itd already been 4 months. Also, my relationships are for the most part great. My Zone Leaders are like my best friends and President is AMAZING. We had interviews this week and it was one of the most amazing experiences ever.

With my companion is a little strained sometimes because I make him be obedient with me. Also, he has a lack of manners and people skills, but I can accept and work with that. Thanks for this letter though Dad. It was rather inspiring. Love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment