Monday, January 9, 2017

9 January 2017 - Quisqueya (San Pedro de Macoris)

(Response to Dad's e-mail, in which Dad shared that he has a new patient--former Elder McGuire, who knew Christian in the Dominican Republic, and who taught Saturday morning English classes with Christian. Also Dad converted all the old DV8 tapes to DVD, so he and Mom have been watching all our old home movies. Also, unfortunately, Christian will not be able to go on the Church History tour the Burkes invited him on, which is sad.)

ELder McGuire! He´s a great guy! Yes, we taught together each saturday. We pretty much got dragged into teaching the class, but it was fun, if a bit stressful. We went every saturday morning and I taught the youth class. THats kind of hard here cus half the class is just there to try and flirt with the american teachers, but apparently there was success. I wrote about the big graduation ceremony we had, and as part of that, I sang a special musical number of Rock of Ages in english and spanish. Everyone was very complimentary.

Thats cool about the DVDs. Im excited to watch them, that sounds like alot of fun! Now we just need to find all those older photos and things from like 2005 and forward. Everything is great! Love you dad! And I totally understand about the Tour thing. Super excited about the family reunion. LOVE YOU!

(General e-mail)

Y aconteció que en el primer mes del terser ano del reino de Elder Frogley, había muchas contenciones entre el pueblo. Sin embargo, los misioneros trabajaban con toda diligencia, exoratando el pueblo de Dios a asistir la SHOOT DERN iglesia. Como resulto de sus esfuerzos, 34 almas volvieron a la casa de oración para ofrecer sus sacramentos ante el Senor.

For those of you who dont speak Spanish like us cool kids (gives Dave and Jason a fist bump)(I know there are spelling errors but my computer is dumb and wont let me go back and fix them without rewriting the whole letter), We finally got our attendance back up in church! After having two weeks of an average of 10 people, we had 34 this week! And four of them were investigators! One, a new, slightly elderly couple named Hector and Josefa, are totally fantastic! We didnt even have to call them to remind them! They said that they loved it and will definately be going next week. We also had a young man named Yoel attend with us. He is a total tig (like a street thug pretty much) but he is very interested in the gospel and is preparing for baptism on the 28th. He also liked church.

So church itself this week was very interesting. My comp, who only has 8 months as a member, had to give a talk and he was SUPER nervous. He did a good job though. After all the speakers had finished, we still had about 15 minutes left of the meeting so our second councilor (hes a total bumb) gets up and announces that "The next and final speaker will be Elder Frogley." I had about 5 seconds to hurriedly think of a topic, search for scriptures and get up there. I talked abou tthe importance of reverence in the meetings, especially before sacrament meeting. (Our branch and the majority of the republic has a HUGE problem with that.) Everyone told me I did a great job though. haha. After that All the teachers rushed me complaining how they hadnt received this years teaching manual and asking me to print out that weeks lesson. After doing so, the first councilor informed me that I would be teaching he Youth Sunday school. THus, I printed out that lesson as well and taught our small group of youth. Then as we entered priesthood meeting (there are about 5 people) our first councilor told us that we would also be teaching the priesthood class with a double lesson, including the first two chapters of the manual.(more printing)

Needless to say, I was slightly hoarse after church.

As for the rest of the week, it was pretty good. My companion has been pretty moody lately, but honestly Im getting used to people like that. (Dont worry mom he doesnt have a knife ;)) We have right now, 10 people with a baptismal date, but alot of them have problems getting to church. Next week they will come though. ;)

Well, I love you all! Thanks for all your support!!

P.S. All the times I said 1st councilor, I actually meant 2nd. There is no first councilor. HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment