Tuesday, August 16, 2016

16 August 2016 - Las Américas/La Caleta (Santo Domingo)

(Response to Dad's e-mail, in which Dad detailed a visit to Nauvoo, Illinois, and Davenport, Iowa, along with a brief update on the Olympics)

Well, my letter is late! haha Again! But thats cool! I really want to visit Iowa and Nauvoo and stuff when I get back. Especially now Ive studied more about JS and church history. I still have planned to get sealed in my Nauvoo temple. ;) Thanks for the update! I miss the olympics. Ive seen snippets in restaurants and stuff, but I really try not to watch.

I also really wanted to thank you for your special letter last week. Id kind of fallen into a state of mind that after the mission it would so much easier to [maintain the same level of spirituality]. That was kind of a call back to earth, to remind me that its a life long fight.

Love you Dad! Big letter on the way! No photos this week, but next week. ive got a lot of golfing! Also, Im gonna try not to use my personal card for a while. Golfing with all the food Ive had to/chosen to buy has put a healthy dent in that fund and it isnt even mine! :/

Love you!!!

(General e-mail)

Man, I am just so hungry right now...

Oh hey, the big letter.

SO! This week was pretty much the same, just a few fun experiences I would like to share. So yesterday we went golfing with a whole bunch of other missionaries the mission doctor and his family and Presdient Corbitt. It was a blast! We all got carts and clubs and went off in groups. Ona dominican golf course there are no rules so we all had fun derping around in our carts. Donuts, drifting in the sand traps and trying to jump the hills, all the while being cheered on (yes, cheered on) by the staff. They all loved it. I ended with a 55 which was better than I was expecting, but still higher than I would like. I want to get more into golf when I come back. My first whole was great! but after that I just kept hitting right. Oh well. Next time maybe.

So other funny story. So last like tuesday or something like that we were out proselyting and it starts POURING. Like Iowa rain. It was bad. My comp and I take cover and while we wait, this HUGE tank of a man comes walking up behind us. He´s like, "Hey mormons." We turned and my eyes almost bugged out of my head to see a living brick wall towering over me. (seriously his biceps were bigger than my head....but his legs were still tiny.) Anyway, we just talked for a second and he told us that he was a member, just really inactive. He started to walk away as the rain had stopped, but turned back and said "Adios Elderes de Israel!" [Goodbye Elders of Israel]

My comp looked at eachother and we both thought the same thing. This guy is a return missionary. There are tons of inactive return missionaries in our ward, and we had heard about one that went inactive only weeks after returning.

So the rain starts again and Hulk comes lumbering back to our shelter. We talk some more and he agreed to let us visit him. When the rain had stopped, we left up the street. Elder Allen asked if he had served a mission and Bruce Banner said no. I knew right away it was a lie. We both knew that this was the same return misisonary that we had heard about.

When we were almost to his house, He Man recieved a healthy salutation from a friend on the street. Let me paint the picture a little.

So we are at the bottom of a small, wet hill where the broken asfault changes to dirt. Elder Allen is on one side of Hulk Hogan and Im on the other. We reach the bottom of the hill and this other guys just like "HUEY! JUNIOR! (the RM) Chillin Chillin."

"Bigger than Captain Moroni Painting" waved back and said "Chillin Chillin" In this exact moment we hear from behind us.

"Watch out! Slow Down! AAHH!!" Now you have to understand that such shrieks are pretty normal here so we didnt even pay attention. Mistake! All of a sudden I feel something smack my side and this blur goes barreling into Dwayne the Rock Johnson. It was two little girls on a bike, goin like warp 3 and they just nailed him straight on! I watched in slow motion as he slowyly toppled backwards onto the crashing bike. It all happened very fast, but it seemed alot longer. My comp and I burst out laughing while helping Dominican vin Diesel to his feet. THis tatooed mass then turns on the two little girls and is just like " You two are idiots!! Watch where youre goin!"

My comp thought he was going to straight up kill them...or at least eat the bike or something. In the end nothing happened, but Living GI JOE model got pretty scraped up. He also has 1 Nephi 8:12 tatooed on his arm....so thats pretty chuckly.

Alright, thats all for now really. We had some really awesome and spriritually guided lessons and several peeps that are getting ready to be baptized in the end of this month.

Love you all! Pray and study the scripts.

No comments:

Post a Comment