Monday, August 3, 2015

3 August 2015 - Los Guaricanos (Santo Domingo)

Hello those who tune in to this regurarly scheduled program!  Remember how i said this week would be better? hahahaha well to quote Thorin Oakenshield, "Never have I been so wrong."  Our Numbers were down the toilet, all our citas fell through and we´re probably going to drop alooot of our investigators.  We only have one thats progressing and thats Estivan.  He is still amazing but all of our other investigators either want nothing to do with us or just refuse to keep commitments.  This coming week will be made up mostly of contacts and hopefully references.  We´re pretty much starting fresh.  It was rather discouraging.  BUT to quote a extremely popular saying here, "all things are possible with God."  Its at times like these when scriptures like Romans 8 and Alma 26:27 jump to mind.  Anyway, this week literally has to be better. :)

We had a TON of rain yesterday...which also ruined alot of our citas, but it was kinda fun.  It reminded me of Iowa.  I was on splits with the Ward mission leader and we had to walk for about a half an hour in the deluge.  It was a good time.  Oh! Fun fact, Dominicans are terrified of rain.  Whenever it rains, everyone disappears.  If it rains before church on sunday, no one will come.  Its because they only wash their hair like once a week (usually on friday so they can go party for the weekend) and theyre worried the rain will ruin it.  As a result most of the women wear these hair net things called "tubies" which hold in the rats nest. Anyway, i was walking with Richard, The ward mission leader, and he asked me if I wanted to stop.  I turned to him and said "Richard, are you going to let a little rain stop the work of the Lord?"  He stared at me for a sec then gave me a high five and started walking again.  Good times.  Thats about it for this week, I dont have any pictures unfortunately, but next week I will.  Have a great week everyone! Love you all!

Oh and Dad!  So if anyone wants to send packages, send them to the Mission Office.  I don´t know the adress.  Otherwise you can send them down through Florida which is great for Letters, but costs alot of money for packages, part of which has to be paid by me.  its alot safer though.  Also, you know how missionaries used to get the nice, embossed sciptures in their mission language?  Well no longer.  We get the cheap, paper back ones that are getting ruined in my bag. I have to buy my own and get scripture cases.  I´m just going to get my my triple rebound, but I´d like a Bible  with tabs.  Cases that are actually worth getting are around 100 dollars. I can definately wait on the cases, but I do need my PIN so I can withdraw money and afford to buy scripts and the new cover.

Also, I asked Elsa Greenwalt to talk to you guys about sending me a copy of The Lamb of God, because...I need music. haha.

for letters
Elder Christian Blake Frogley
Santo Domingo East mission
SDQ 4102
2250 NW 114th ave- unit 1A
Miami, FL 33172-3652

and for packages
Elder Christian Blake Frogley
Santo Domingo East mission
AP 000914
8532 NW 66th st.
Miami, FL 33166

Well apparently I have a bit more time, so lets add to the big letter!  Music here is...well...basura.  Its not music  Its pretty much just bass with a few words thrown in.  The favorites right now are Doobie, where the singer literally just says doobie over and over and thats the whole song.  Then theres the sound of the can.  Thats also the whole song with some really electric music garabage in the background.  Also, I need 10 women, and  "Beep bop, beep bop I am rich".  Thats the words for the whole song.  Makes me laugh.  The true king and ruler of both music and the country however is Romeo Santos.  My trainer has banned me from ever looking him up in my life, but everyone listens to him at some point during the day.  I dont think he´s that bad, but oh well.  I cant really understand what he sings, but it sounds ok. haha

Recently alot of power transformers have been blowing up and power is spotty all over my area.  There are tons of riots in the streets every night and we find burned tires and stuff everywhere.  Lets see...what else happened.  We had a barbecue. ha! To make the grill we took  the front, cover part of a fan, filled it with charcoal and tried to light it.  We have a video of all of us staning around the feintly glowing embers and desperately fanning the coals with plates.  It was fun.  We finally got our stipend back on schedule...ish this week so we could actually buy semi healthy food!  I actually eat (and kind of enjoy) alot of tomatoes and avacodos.  Shhh don´t tell Dad.  But mostly its rice and Salami, Cereal, eggs or sandwiches.  I´m actually working out pretty quite alot and its something i intend to do alot more of when i get back.  i´m lookin pretty healthy if i do say so.  Speaking of healthy.  This last week I got a nasty fungus thing all over my back.  It spread like over night and for the next few days I could barely move.  Everytime i´d shift of twist my back it felt like the skin was cracking.  I got some special soap and cream to get rid of it though and now its mostly cleared up.  What a great image right after talking about food...now I´m hungry.  We had a deep cleaning session in our bathrooms today ( and by we i mean I) and now all of our stuff is white...ish!  Better than the yellow and black it was before!  I scrubbed away generations of missionary hair and layers of shower and sink scum.  The ball of steel wool is practically destroyed and we´ve decided to burn the rags.  The toilet bowl is hopeless though.   Thank you for all your letters, thoughts and prayers.
I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment